"Required reading" for today's smart writer.

"Required reading" for today's smart writer.
Information & inspiration to hone your craft and increase your cash...Since 2009

Friday, September 25, 2015

Art With a Message...?

 
 
The other day, while listening to music from my "oldies, but goodies" collection, I was transcended to a different space and time. An age when music provided more than a good beat to groove to.
When lyrics celebrated love found and lost, raised the consciousness level of its listeners, and much like the fortune cookies purchased from my favorite Chinese restaurant, always contained a message for reflection.

Artists back then used their words as a medium for change, to build a better world, and to make us feel less alone in our journey.

Remember when Marvin Gaye sang songs like, "Mercy, Mercy Me" and "What's Going On?"
When the Beatles asked us to "Imagine" a world with "no need for greed or hunger, and a brotherhood of man?"

The concept of art with a message through music, also puts me in the mind of film director, Spike Lee: how he produces movies that are hugely entertaining, but also have a great deal of sybolism.
Though I may not agree entirely with his perspectives or creative approach, I do admire him for having the courage and conviction to use his movies and resources to illuminate important social issues surrounding racism, classism and sexism in America.

So, what's the message behind today's message...?

As writers, bloggers, and "performers" we have an awesome opportunity to use our "spotlight" to champion important causes, dispel stereotypes, start a movement, speak for those who have no platform, give hope, heal, serve as historians for future generations.

It's never too late to use your talents to speak, teach, reach.
The world awaits.
What will you "paint"?

Thoughts?

Image: Freedigitalphotos.net

12 comments:

  1. Jen--I do miss the Marvin Gayes, the Richie Havens, the Joni Mitchells...

    I think too often people want to entertain with their posts, instead of poking and prodding people into thinking... and considering. Why is that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sioux,

      Thanks so much for your time and comment. Actually, I am of the opinion that a truly successful blog will do both: provoke thought and provide entertainment. But, I think for some, entertaining just comes easier than prodding people to think. That's just my two cents here. :-)

      Delete
    2. Also, as a society, we place a high premium on the "value" of entertainment. Just look at how much actors and comedians make as compared to teachers. True?

      Delete
  2. Good point. We do create art and paint pictures for our readers. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your feedback, Karen. Always a pleasure. :-)

      Delete
  3. I see a lot of bloggers using the "Medium" platform to use their creative talents to spotlight issues, experiences and ideas in a substantial way without conforming to the 500 to 600 word post format. They dig in for 2,000 word treatise there.

    And like you, I wish artists used their art to "lift" their audiences to higher ground, be it music, film, photography, written word, etc...

    After all, we're living in revolutionary times these days

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am about to take my efforts to the next level to by interviewing every day folk about every topics that we all can relate to. Everyone has a story. Although I am very capable of writing stories, I think they would be more powerful if told by the individual. Stay tuned for more details....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marcie,
      ...Looking forward. Keep us posted, will you? :-)

      Delete
  5. Michael,
    Very interesting perspective. Thanks for adding to the mix. I value your input.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Appreciate this post. Let me try it out.

    Here is my weblog - Ceuticell Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  7. I believe it's important to have a message in any form of art. It's not mandatory but a message helps to make the guests reach something deeper. I believe this is especially true when there are many important issues to address. The arts are voices to express such concerns and stimulate solutions.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Henry. I appreciate your thoughtful feedback.

    ReplyDelete