I love how words give shape and permanence to our thoughts.
How they mirror our moods, capture our experiences, make us assess and reflect.
Particularly with journal writing. And there's a bonus here,
journals are our secret keepers; they guard and preserve our most intimate stories without judgment or disclosure. Better than a best friend, at times.
Which is why I have kept a journal since my teen years...in every size, color and theme.
And the good news is you're never too young or old to start one or maintain one.
As the years have evolved, here are some benefits I have observed from this age-old practice.
See if you agree.
THE BENEFITS OF KEEPING JOURNALS/DIARIES
- Journaling can be cathartic. Potentially saving thousands of dollars in professional therapy. :-)
- It can help enhance creativity.
- It can bring closure to plaguing issues or painful relationships. Your words can help "close the chapter" to unresolved issues, or write your own "happy ending" as you see fit.
- Journaling can assist us to chronicle, witness and understand our spectrum of emotions and our personal growth. Remember that guy or girl who broke your heart, that you thought you'd never get over? When you read your journal entries years later in retrospect, you'll get quite a laugh and even confirmation of your inner-strength.
- Journals can be used for an array of projects and purposes.
HERE ARE A FEW YOU MIGHT WANT TO CONSIDER:
- A Blessings Journal
- A Recipes/Food Journal
- An Exercise/Diet Journal
- A Shopping Journal
- A Financial Journal
- A Work life Journal
- A Creative Journal
- A Relationship Journal
- A Bucket List Journal
If you're on board, here are a few places to score cute, inexpensive diaries and journals:
- At a local Dollar Store
- At thrift shops
- At Stationery stores
Get creative here.
Add photos, stickers, pressed flowers, post cards to places you've been or would like to visit, for a more personalized experience.
There's really no wrong way to pen your life story, for memories that live a life time.
Curious here. Do you keep a journal? What kind? Do tell.
Image credits: https://Pixabay.com/